In Gyoma there is a mighty edifice standing out loftily, the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church. It’s the Jerusalem of the local Roman Catholic community. On the 8th of April, 1848 a huge fire burst out and the Catholic Church burnt down to the ground along with its parish and many houses. The new church and presbytery was established in 1862. The foundation stones of the current church were laid on 1st May 1877 according to the design of Alajos Hauszmann, professor of the University of Technology. With the plans there were documents enclosed conveying information on the erstwhile circumstances of the era and disclosing the names and data of religious and secular magistrates. The church was built in Neo-Renaissance style and the high altar picture depicts the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It has a painted coffered ceiling and in the altars the relics of Saint Innocent and Saint Faustina are to be found.
Roman Catholic Parish (Gyoma)
Pastor: Túri-Kiss István